Thursday, January 13, 2011

Firework.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlLgvQErn6o

FIREWORK
FIRECRACKER
SPITFIRE

determined
strong
tough

These are a few of the words that have been used to describe me by my family and friends. And today is one of those days that I TRULY BELIEVE it!!

I FREAKING RAN 18 MILES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not only did I "run" 18 miles, but I did it in THE COLD AND RAIN!!!! It wasn't a downpour but a constant gentle mist. And you know what? I FELT AWESOME! I did wake up with a lower back ache, nothing unusual, I ALWAYS have backpain. I popped a couple of ibuprofen, ate a blueberry crisp Cliff bar, a banana and a cup of coffee and it was ON! When I walked out the door this morning at 5:45 it was raining and I thought "Oh boy, this is going to be tough!". I was freezing (44 degrees this morning, not THAT bad now that I've run in 33 degree weather!LOL) but felt like I had layered appropriately so I told myself I would NOT focus on the weather today but would take it mile by mile. Hey I only had to go 9 and then turn around and come home, right? :o)

I kept thinking about this song when I was pushing uphill, when my back ached or my left hip hurt at mile 16. I kept telling myself I owned this day, I was a firework! Time to shine! No negative talk, and believe me I could have focused on the fatigue I felt from starting maybe a little too fast, or the weather or the stupid semi truck that got all of us wet with a giant puddle at the start of the run, my sopping wet feet that I knew would be all white and wrinkly when I took my shoes off, but instead I just focused on how STRONG I felt today! These lyrics in particular kept going over and over in my mind:

Do you know that there's still a chance for you

Cause there's a spark in you

You just gotta ignite the light

And let it shine

Just own the night

Like the Fourth of July


I NEEDED this today. It was a rough week having Chris and the two little ones sick and me not being able to do the plan exactly the way it said, but I didn't skip a run, yay! I couldn't help but to laugh a little during my last mile. I was by myself, remembering a conversation I had with Erika the other day. It kind of went like this:

"OF COURSE I would pick my first marathon to be in FEBRUARY! The fall would have just made too much sense, right? :o) I had to choose to train during the coldest time in Texas, surrounded by TONS of challenges....holidays, cold and allergy season, etc. But then again, that's me! As with MOST things in my life, I take the toughest road and just have to remind myself that I always get there, somehow, someway."

And to be honest, it has been T-O-U-G-H!!!! If it's not one thing, it's another. I've had to change my expectations for my first marathon since I'm not willing to put into the training plan exactly what it asks of me. I am a runner, an athlete. BUT I am wife and mother FIRST. I put God and my family before the running and it can be VERY EASY to switch that up and get all out of balance. Thankfully I have people close to me that care so much about me that they help me see these things before I allow that to happen. :o)

Today was a test for me. I wanted to see if I could "do it" today, keep a pace that I was "content" with and feel encouraged at the end. Well everyone, Gina gets and A+ for today! I passed my own test with flying colors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so excited to see what those extra 8.2 miles brings me.

I'm ready Austin Marathon, bring it!

No comments: