Saturday, November 10, 2007

1 Samuel 24:12

Okay, so all of my friends and family KNOW that I am NOT knowledgeable at ALL on the Bible, religion, prayer, etc. BUT I do want to know more. I want to learn about the stories, find the meaning and be uplifted just as I would from any other book I would choose to read. One of my main reasons for reading the Bible is so I can teach my children. I think it's wonderful to grow up with that sense of security like Chris did.

Anyway, I've been part of 3 different Bible Studies, the first was definitely my FAVORITE! We covered the book of Mark and I'm thinking about going back into the New Testament very soon. My friend Erika and I have been meeting biweekly for what is called an LTG (life transformation group) if you want the "title" , I call it . . . ME TIME, time to enjoy some healthy reading and sharing the weeks insights and or struggles. We've read Ruth, Esther, Some Psalms (138-150), just finished 1Samuel and are in the midst of 2Samuel now.(I'm only up to Chapter 9 Erika!). Well, my sister in law Ruth has asked to join our Bi-Weekly Team as well as my friend Catherine too which I think is pretty cool! What mom doesn't want a night every other week to just sit and have coffee and REAL conversation, uninterrupted by our little ones?! I've never experienced anything like this and am in NO WAY what friends back home would call a "Bible Thumper". I don't mean to offend ANYONE by that phrase, I just want to ensure my family and friends that what I'm doing is enriching my life beyond measure not joining some sort of crazy group or anything.

My friends now are REAL, with real problems, real struggles, real joy and real support. They are just like any other friends I would have, just with strong community focus and what I call real "humanitarians". It's amazing that I found them! I am not going to be one to quote scripture or anything like that because that's not where I'm at right now in my life. I'm more aware of people and their feelings, I want to do more than just focus on my life and my family, I want to reach out even more than I have in the past to others and help, and THAT I just can't help to not see is from my growing relationship with God! We are made to have these beautiful hearts and a conscience, now what we do with those or let be done with them is all up to us...

So today while I was reading for my LTG I couldn't' help but to go back to 1Samuel to something I highlighted (yes, I write and highlight in my Bible that doesn't' even look like a Bible, it's called The Book and it's WAY easier than the King James version for sure!) And I sat and thought about it for a minute and wanted to share...
"Perhaps the Lord will punish you for what you are trying to do to me, but I will never harm you." 1Samuel 24:12
"You are a better man than I am, for you have repaid me good for evil." 1Samuel 24:18

I've lived most of my life thinking "well screw you, you hurt me and so I'll do the same back to you!" But I am realizing more and more and find comfort when reading something like this and trusting it that dwelling on the negative or trying to punish someone else will NEVER do you any good and really won't even make an impact on them either. "Kill them with Kindness" my mom always said and it's soooooo true!!!

No comments: