Thursday, February 28, 2008

Stuffed Peppers


Here's dinner tonight!

4 Large Green Peppers, cut tops off and poke holes in the bottom to allow a little drainage

In a large mixing bowl, combine:

1 pound Ground Beef
1/2 cup of cooked brown rice
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
a few good shakes of grated parmesan cheese
salt, pepper
Garlic Powder ( I love garlic so I shake quite a bit!)
Add a small amount of tomato sauce just to make it nice and wet

Scoop the mixture into each pepper
Sprinkle the tops with Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs
Top with a spoonful of tomato sauce (a thin layer)

Preheat oven to 350
Put a small amount of oil on bottom of pan
Place Stuffed Peppers in the shallow baking pan and cover tightly with foil

Cook for about 40-50 minutes.

I chose to do the stuffed peppers tonight because we had a family over for dinner last night which was Spaghetti with Meatballs and Sausage/Sauce, so needless to say we had leftovers! I always overcook, LOL!

So tonight I figured I'd use the sauce for the peppers and serve them with a side of thin spaghetti.

Note: This is a basic, Italian Homestyle recipe from my mom and you can totally americanize it, southwestern style it, simply add mozzerella cheese on top (or cheddar for you cheese lovers)...there are many variations. This is just the way I grew up eating them. I googled stuffed peppers to try to find an image closest to what mine would look like and boy there are some gourmet looking ones out there. A basic, cheap dish can be "fancied" up and sold at a fine dining restaurant at a RIDICULOUS price. I am one of those people who would NEVER pay alot for basic, traditional italian food...you better make it a specialty if I'm paying over $10 for it! LOL

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

Ok that sounds fabulous!! I am going to try it for a dinner next week!! Thanks Gina!