Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Identity


I have heard recently by different friends with completely different personalities bring up the topic of their identity.

Simple question, "Who am I?"

Shouldn't be hard to answer, and you'd think a woman in her 30's would be able to spurt out an answer simply, but I have yet to hear someone confidently define in a sentence who they are. Sure, maybe they'll say "I'm a stay at home mom, confident, fun, loving, giving and care about others" or maybe "I'm an athlete, a wife, a career woman, an over acheiver, respectful, kind, honest, etc. etc..".

I myself have a desire to sum "Gina" up in a sentence but I'm coming to realize I can't do that. Sure I can use a bunch of adjectives to describe different facets of my personality. I can use words to describe the things I value in life. I can blend in or stand out with a particular group of people. But it's not as simple as that. I think one of the goals to living, truly living is to be constantly changing, to be constantly growing.
It's easier for some to identify themselves as
*that shy person that is not naturally an initiator
*that fun girl that doesn't like responsibility
*the logical one that has low tolerance
*the family girl that doesn't want to be incovenienced by the world outside
*the hurt girl that can't trust anyone or
*the calm sort of nothing bothers me sort of person.
You get what I'm saying?

If we live in this "This is who I am" place, then how are we ever going to realize what our potential really is? Growing, changing, constantly re-evaluating things, trying something new...that is what we need to be doing. This is what promotes change, taking action is what brings even more valuable things into our lives and fills us up.

The funny thing is that I've started to realize lately that this is a huge part of what being a Christian is, at least in my opinion from what I've seen from the people around me, teaching me. If you are studying who Jesus was, what he did, what his values were I think what you'd understand is simply this, GET OUT THERE, get out of your comfort zone, do for others, love others, take care of one another.

By doing that, getting out there and taking a chance with people that weren't even exactly what I "identified" myself as, I've learned over the last 4 years a ton about myself. I've picked up new hobbies, I've become more responsible and aware of my actions, I've become more tolerant, I've grown into a better mother, a better wife, a better friend. Did I do this by sitting home reading all sorts of self help books and watching Oprah? NO.

Are those things wrong? Of course not, but there is NOTHING like getting out there and living it, experiencing things first hand.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't worry so much about coming up with a definition of what or who you are. Just get out there, live life and do it to the fullest.

The funny thing is your identity can usually be expressed by the people you have in your life. Those friends, family members, bosses, coworkers, spouses, your children, they are the witnesses in your life that watch your actions which express your values and mold your identity.

Just my thought for today. :o)

No comments: